Friday, October 26, 2007

The Buy-In

I attended a roundtable discussion about documentation and Reggio inspired work where I got into a heated debate with one of the facilitators about the responsibility of educators to make their teaching visible. There was a panel of four educators; each one presented a documentation piece from their classroom or playgroup. After each presentation there was a question and answer period. One of the panelists presented an inspiring documentation about a bird project that lasted for months. What struck me most by her discourse was the fact that she had another teacher in her classroom who struggled against project-based curriculum and who kept doing her "canned curriculum" she had been doing for years. I raised my hand and innocently asked, "What action did you take to help your other teacher understand what you were doing?" The panelist replied that she hadn't really worked on that piece, and maybe she should have. Now this is a very important component of my teaching; I'm constantly trying to figure out how to transmit information to parents, teachers and children. Since this roundtable was, in essence, about this topic, I asked, "What would you have done to get the teacher to buy in to your philosophy?" Suddenly, another panelist become visibly upset and announced that the teacher had no responsibility to solicit the other teacher's buy-in. I respectfully disagreed, "I understand that we are all on a journey, and that everyone is at a different place with how they teach, but I strongly feel that it is our duty to inform the field about why we do what we do. If our teams don't understand or support each other, then that's a problem." Her pretext that, "teachers doing this work didn't have time to mentor other teachers," wasn't good enough for me. Here she was talking about the significance of documenting, which is a vehicle we use to convey what we do and why we do it, yet she couldn’t see how her words contradicted the basis of her seminar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was fortunate enough to visit The Children's School in Stamford, CT (http://www.childrensschool.org/) a few years ago, along with a group of colleagues. We originally visited the Preschool-2nd Grade school because of their longtime practice of videotaping students and teachers to document and celebrate learning, and to help teachers grow their teaching. We loved the school for many reasons...it was Montessori-based, which is very different philosophically from the school I send my children to and the one in which I teach, but it was really a fantastic place.

One of the things that was intriguing was that every teacher is regularly videotaped, and then a coach and the rest of the faculty give the teacher feedback using the method called "Three Pluses and a Wish." Every teacher there goes through this process -- it's part of the deal when you work there. Our guide said that all faculty feel nervous the first time out, but eventually grow to love the insights their colleagues give them and the opportunity to talk about why they teach the way that they do. I have a funny feeling that the woman from your conference would NOT have liked working at The Children's School! Here's the link to their professional development page:

http://www.childrensschool.org/philosophy.html#coaching

brian said...

Thanks Barbara,
I'll check out the site.